Sunday, March 22, 2009

InTempo 2009

It is finally over!

I think I am more and more getting to used to being a soloist. I notice a change of mindset (don't think is applicable for all soloist, maybe just me), that I am getting more "don't care" about what is happening behind me when I am playing solo. In fact, sometimes I find it difficult to play my solo if the people behind me are too loud. I think is kind of selfish.

The concert was a lot better than what I imagined would be. Especially after the band prac during tuesday.

Maybe the rehearsal at afternoon was too long. After Puszta (only one song), I felt very tired. But lucky I don't need to play the other two pieces.

Vesuvius, they said was still quite messy, sounded quite ok to me in backstage. Just don't know how it sounded in audience.

Overall my solos are quite good (in my own opinion). Puszta ones are not really good, but that were "soli", not "solo". Maybe i just don't like the word "soli" in my score. Like I said, selfish "soloist" mindset.

Fantasy Variation solo was probably one of the longest and most difficult part for English horn for all the band pieces. I took months to prepare for it, and it does pay off. And yes the word is "relax". In fact, I was so relaxed that two bars before my solo, when Zi Xian playing his bass clarinet solo, I still not prepared to play my solo. Then just one beat before, I thought, "eh, it's time." Then I lift up my English horn, played the first triplets, and it suddenly made sense. It felt like I am watching myself playing it, without my own intervention. Somehow it reminded me of Planet Earth solo, the very first solo I played under Mr Tan, which had the similar feeling. The only difference is that I can handle the instrument much better now. I guess it is the power of banana, which I called "banana effect". After a few notes, then I started to feel, "yes, this is it", The feeling that the whole thing is just right. Then after a while, I started to feel want to cry. I was actually impressed by myself. The feeling is so intense that after the finish of the variation, I am still in the emo state. "This is really the best I can give", I told myself. Like I said to Mr Kang, "I don't care what others will think, I am impressed by myself, and that's all I need."

I am hoping for another long solo next sem!

1 comment:

mad said...

Self-praise is no praise..haa..
but well, ur solo is good. compared to planet earth, u haf improved alot. i guess, i enjoy ur solo part because u were relaxed and u were enjoying urself when u play it. this gets me reflecting...i wasnt enjoying n so i din play well n i tink we din sound well.

all the best in solo playing! hehe..